S2F Running & Reading Club Volunteers have a significant role to encourage students on a weekly basis for positive change physically, mentally and emotionally through fitness and literacy. Volunteers help to build confidence and motivate club participants to work hard and achieve success, characteristics that will empower them for life.
Who Do I Work With?
- Onsite Club Director
- Director of Volunteer and Community Relations or Regional Director where and when applicable
What Should I Expect?
- Volunteers supervise and encourage the children through the physical activity component of the program. They lead warm up, running workouts, and other fitness activities while cheering them on and providing encouragement.
- Volunteers help to distribute snack to the students after the physical activity component.
Word of the Day
- Each volunteer has the opportunity to explain a "Word of the Day” for the whole group.They will share the word selected for that week (as provided in the Director’s Manual) and engage feedback from the students regarding the definition and how they have exemplified it at some point in their lives.
- Volunteers help children to record their accomplishments in both running and reading each week.
- Volunteers supervise as children read silently, read one-on-one with children or lead group reading, listen to them read and providing help and encouragement.
Creating positive spaces
- All volunteers are required to proactively work together along with the Club
What is required to volunteer?
- Volunteer application with references
- Police check for the vulnerable sector
What Qualifications Do I Need?
- A strong belief in the Start2Finish mission, vision and values; able to articulate them
- A sincere desire to motivate children through fitness and literacy
- Active listener
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
Is There Orientation & Training?
Orientation about Start2Finish and training for the volunteer position will be provided by on-site Club Director
What is the Time Commitment?
- 1 afternoon, 2.5 hours – Each program runs for 2 hours, one afternoon per week; allow time for travel, set up and clean up
- 8 months - We operate throughout the school year, from late October to end of May
- One day volunteering for year-end event