The Running & Reading Club Program
The Start2Finish Running & Reading Club weekly after-school program is a 32-week companion program to the Backpack Program. It effectively addresses the need for enhanced literacy and physical activity among economically challenged children in the communities it services. Start2Finish currently has 38 Running & Reading Club programs successfully operating from coast to coast, with plans to expand to 50 Clubs by 2018-19.
The Running & Reading Club Program takes place directly within local schools, and runs for two hours one day per week from October to June. The program culminates in the Start2Finish 5K Running & Reading Challenge and an awards ceremony recognizing each child’s achievement at the end of the school year.
Kids are encouraged over the summer to continue working on their fitness and literacy. Each child is given a fun take-home fitness plan that the whole family can participate in, as well as an age-appropriate book.
32 weeks + Summer Fitness & Literacy Plan
- Circuit training and active games to develop overall fitness
- Running in preparation for a 5 km challenge at the end of the program year
- “Word of the Day” character-building component
- Journaling with a mentor
- Reading one-on-one and in small groups with a mentor
- Nutritious, protein-packed snack and fruit juice
- Take home fitness program
- Summer reading